Timeless Quality and Standards of Anejo Tequila by Brady Bunte
Anejo tequila is usually a favorite between the the different types of tequila (Silver, Reposado, Anejo, Extra Anejo) on the market. Brady Bunte points out several details below about this amazing category of tequila.
Tequilas are generally classified into two broad categories;
- The 100% Blue agave tequilas
- The Tequila Mixto
Anejo tequila belongs to the 100% blue agave category. This category features no additives and it is pure blue agave. The anejo tequila comes in two sub-categories;
- The extra aged tequila anejo
- The ultra-aged tequila extra anejo
The extra aged-tequila Anejo;
The name “Anejo” is derived from the process of further aging of tequila. Brady Bunte explains that the actual process of aging is a minimum of 12 months but not longer than 3 years and is done in oak barrels with a capacity of 600 liters.
What is the purpose of aging?
The process of aging the tequila into what is known as the anejo tequila darkens this liquor. The aging also improves the flavor, the smoothness and bouquet a great deal.
The ultra-aged tequila extra Anejo;
This subcategory includes all tequilas that are aged for more than 3 years. Brady Bunte points out that tequilas that are aged more than 3 years old fall under the “extra anejo” category.
With the extra aging, tequila anejo gains flavor, color and value. The aging process also increases the alcohol content. For this reason, distilled water dilution is typically done immediately after aging.
What are some of the standout features of the anejo tequila?
According to Brady Bunte, these are in fact, what should guide one’s choice of a favorite tequila anejo brand. Some of the things to look for include:
- Delicate knife-edged balance of oak with an infusion of wild agave for the Highland tequila anejo.
- The Lowland tequila anejo spots a mellow flavor, more earthy
- The extra anejo tequila has a taste of fine tequila blended deep within.
- The highland extra anejo tequila has feel of good incense.
- The lowland extra anejo tequila has an upfront vanilla taste that eases into a mellow finish.
These are some of the defining features that will guide your choice in the selection of your dream anejo tequila brand.
According to recent market trends Brady Bunte points out that Anejo tequila is by far among the most successful tequila brands on the market today.